Please read the job description below prior to applying for this position. Thank you!
Special education director
Who We Are
Cactus Park Elementary is the second school of the nationally-celebrated pilotED Schools network opening for the 2022-2023 school year. At Cactus Park Elementary, we strive to center the voices and experiences of our students and their families as we further the academic excellence, social identity development, and civic engagement of our students. From our daily identity-based curriculum to our on-campus farm, Cactus Park Elementary provides an inclusive, enriching lifestyle for our students and families to forever interrupt generational cycles of poverty.
What You’ll Be Doing
Ensuring equity for all learners, the Special Education Director will work alongside other leadership team members to create and execute a rigorous and compliant instructional program for all of our diverse students. They will coordinate with Special Education Teachers and all specialized service departments (English Language Learners, Social Emotional Health, etc.) to monitor the completion of all IEP minutes and interventions. The Director of Specialized Services will organize and supervise team members in their department while reporting to the School Principal.
- Plans, supervises, and evaluates special education programs including the supervision of IEP creation;
- Consults with staff, parents and outside agencies regarding Special Education Students;
- With input from Special Education teachers, responds to parents regarding the evaluation and placement of their children;
- Discusses Special Education programs, personnel and students with building administrators;
- Arranges Special Education Transportation with the bus company and with the Director of Business & Operations;
- Develops, maintains, and administers the Special Education local budget with input from Director of Business & Operations;
- Helps plan staff special education professional development activities with School Principal and Director of Curriculum & Instruction to ensure that all staff are providing an adequate and exceptional Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for all students with disabilities;
- Assists in the on-going adaptation of school policies to include special education needs.
- Plans, supervises, and evaluates social work programs;
- Monitors caseloads and student progress;
- Develops and maintains complete and cumulative individual records of all children receiving special services and supportive services;
- Keeps informed of legal requirements governing social services & special education;
- Evaluates if children are eligible for special services;
- Prepares Evaluation Reports alongside members of their team.
- May occasionally cooperate with college and university officials regarding teacher training and preparation.
- Supervises the English Language Learners, Special Education, and Social Work programs.
- Assists with all Special Education grants being written and/or used.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a passion for creating systems, working as a team, and being a part of a growing organization;
- Quick-thinker, solutions-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Committed to meeting the needs of a diverse population including race, gender, ability, religion, sexual orientation, geography, and any other identity-based attributes;
- Committed to restorative justice and identity development approaches;
- Willingness to grow through ongoing constructive feedback and professional development;
- Committed to engage and/or lead in community and school events;
- Committed to build relationships with families and coworkers and create a dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or Special Education and/or teaching certification in Special Education;
- 4+ years of full-time teaching experience in Special Education or 2+ years in Special Education leadership;
- Advanced degree or certificate in specialized services (Special Education, School Psychology, Social Work);
- Thorough knowledge of legal responsibilities and related services for Special Education;
- Working knowledge of Social Work services;
- Ability to attend annual summer off-site professional development;
- Understanding of state and federal requirements specific to your position;
- Ability to assess grade level needs in order to plan and organize accordingly;
- Demonstrated experience in the successful instruction of students with varied learning styles and levels of mastery;
- Expert-level written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills;
- Strong ability to work with flexibility;
- Excellent organization skills and consistency in meeting deadlines;
- Experience working in urban environments;
- Strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching strategies to support all learners;
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite proficiency;
- Language: English proficiency required; bilingual in Spanish preferred;
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus;
- Must pass all federal and state background checks.
Salary & Benefits
- Base salary starts at $55,000+
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Holiday, recreation and performance-based bonuses
- Cell phone contributions
Equal Opportunity Employer
pilotED Schools is an equal‐opportunity employer that actively seeks to hire and retain a diverse, passionate, and dedicated team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.