Please read the job description below prior to applying for this position. Thank you!
english language learner (ell) coordinator
Who We Are
Cactus Park Elementary is the second school of the nationally-celebrated pilotED Schools network opening for the 2022-2023 school year. At Cactus Park Elementary, we strive to center the voices and experiences of our students and their families as we further the academic excellence, social identity development, and civic engagement of our students. From our daily identity-based curriculum to our on-campus farm, Cactus Park Elementary provides an inclusive, enriching lifestyle for our students and families to forever interrupt generational cycles of poverty.
What You’ll Be Doing
As a critical partner on the academic excellence team, the ELL Coordinator will be responsible for training ELL Teachers, and facilitating, scheduling, and providing high-quality instruction to ensure ELL students are advancing appropriately through our curriculum. Based on recommendations from teachers and staff, the ELL Coordinator will facilitate WIDA testing and evaluate student English proficiency. Furthermore, they will coordinate with classroom teachers, TAs and Special Education staff to ensure that the needs of identified students are being met, and will monitor their progress through pilotED’s educational program. The ELL Teacher reports to the Director of Special Education with support from the School Principal and Assistant Principal.
- Schedule and facilitate support for ELL students at all language levels in general education classrooms;
- Develop an appropriate and aligned curriculum that supports rapid language acquisition for English Language Learners at all acquired levels;
- When necessary, serve as a translator for parent/teacher conferences and other translation needs including printed communication and civic engagement events.
- Develop and execute systems to ensure functional departments are informed of federal and state ELL policies and their implications on how charter organizations/LEAs serve non-native English speakers and their families;
- Communicate with students’ families on a regular basis regarding student progress & needs;
- Plan and teach multiple sections to ELL students at all acquisition levels;
- Work with a diverse student body from Indianapolis and surrounding areas.
- Train ELL Teachers;
- Participate in a myriad of professional development as scheduled for all staff;
- Work with teachers to conduct, organize and analyze on-going assessments of student performance using multiple assessment tools. Analyze data to ensure ELLs are making strong academic progress. Utilize data when planning for individual students;
- Work collaboratively to create and implement a program of study that is intellectually challenging;
- Collect, analyze, and share ELL data to instructional staff to ensure alignment with general education targets;
- Alongside the Director of Business & Operations, maintain accurate files and documents related to ELLs and migrant students as required by Title III.
- Assess incoming and new students to inform individualized instruction
Who We’re Looking For
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a passion for creating systems, working as a team, and being a part of a growing organization;
- Quick-thinker, solutions-oriented, and thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Committed to meeting the needs of a diverse population including race, gender, ability, religion, sexual orientation, geography, and any other identity-based attributes;
- Committed to restorative justice and identity development approaches;
- Willingness to grow through ongoing constructive feedback and professional development;
- Committed to engaging and/or lead in community and school events;
- Committed to building relationships with students, families and coworkers and create a dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in ESL Education (or Education with a minor or emphasis in ESL), and teaching certification in ESL;
- 4+ years of full-time ELL teaching experience;
- Advanced degree or certification in ESL Education preferred;
- Ability to attend annual summer off-site professional development;
- Understanding of state and federal requirements in regard to English Learners (ELs);
- Ability to assess grade level needs in order to plan and organize accordingly;
- Demonstrated experience in the successful instruction of students with varied learning styles and levels of mastery;
- Expert-level written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills;
- Strong ability to work with flexibility;
- Excellent organization skills and consistency in meeting deadlines;
- Experience working in urban environments;
- Strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching strategies to support all learners;
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite proficiency;
- Knowledge of Latino culture and heritage and comfortability sharing this knowledge;
- Language: English and Spanish language proficiency required;
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus;
- Must pass all federal and state background checks.
Salary & Benefits
- Base salary starts at $48,000+
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Holiday, recreation and performance-based bonuses
- Cell phone contributions
Equal Opportunity Employer
pilotED Schools is an equal‐opportunity employer that actively seeks to hire and retain a diverse, passionate, and dedicated team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.